Join Our Mailing List

The Messenger

   October 2018   
SMTWTFS
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   
     

  

 

 

   Methodist were the first church to organize in the Carroll Iowa.  A retired Methodist Circuit rider, Rev. Joseph Manning, came to the new town of Carroll in 1868.  First meeting room was the sample room of Boots Hotel, located where the Carroll City Hall now stands.  By 1872, the congregation of 12 members had grown to 72 and a church building was erected at 6th and Court Street.

 

 

   By 1901 membership grew to 300.  A new church building was created on the corner of 7th and Main St. to accommodate the growing congregation.  This was a beautiful, gothic, ornate building with classic stained glass, fine woodwork, and an ornate interior.  Better roads and automobiles brought the uniting of the rural Beulah Church with the Methodist Church on May 5, 1918.

 

 

   The facility was declared unfit in 1950 so in 1951 twelve families bough the property where the church resides today.  Completed in 1957 the $255,000 was raised through fund drives and hard work.  The congregation had the foresight to preserve and restore the stained glass windows from the former facility.  Parker's "At the Door of the Fold" still welcomes everyone to the sanctuary.

 

   Rose windows on the west side of the building's upper level were also relocated from the old church.  The walnut baptismal stand was made from the pulpit of the very first church building. 

   Ground was broken in 1999 for a handicap accessible addition on the east side.  The new addition includes an elevator, the main offices, nursery, classroom, and handicap restrooms.  The address of the church was changed from 1620 N. Adams to 1621 N. Main St.  The stained glass window "Christ and the Children" (photo above) was purchased and installed the summer of 2004, paid for by church memorial fund donations.